Thursday 16 November 2017

8 ways I would have made my wedding more environmentally friendly

There's not much I would change about my wedding day. It was wonderful and I have so many amazing memories that'll I'll never forget. However, if I had to do it all over again (yes please!) I'd do a couple of things differently...

Firstly, I'd eat some of our cake! We had the most amazing cake table full of beautifully made walnut whips, lemon cake, fondant fancies and other favourites. We asked for some of it to be saved but our trusted cake looker-afterers thought we'd given it to them to eat while we were on our honeymoon! Never mind...one day I'll have them made up again for some party or other (I do love cake!)

Wedding cake table with walnut whips, fondant fancies, carrot cake and macaroons
Image: Yusuf Ozkizil

More importantly, I'd have planned a wedding which was kinder to the environment. I now own an electric car and am much more aware of my environment impact. Here's what I'd do differently...

1. I'd have rocked up in a Tesla. There's a Tesla concierge based in Bournemouth (www.drivve.me), prices start from £299 which includes travel to your wedding venue and reception venue. You get the luxury feeling of an executive car without the petrol.

Tesla Wedding Car
Image: Drivve.me

2. I'd have done some really small simple things like provide a recycle bin and limit plastic.

Alternative eco wedding recycle bin
Image: Style Me Pretty
Photographer: Lane Dittoe Weddings

3. I would have considered less stationary. We had save the dates and invitations and I probably would have just done the invites and personally told people to save the date (and/or sent the invites a lot earlier). Did you know you can get paper which can be planted to grow wildflowers!?

Wildflower Invitation - Eco Wedding
Image: DIY Networks

4. I would have had pot plants as my centrepieces and double them up as favours. Flower centrepieces can go to waste after a wedding - plants will brighten your guests homes for years to come.

Wedding centrepiece - plants that double as favours
Image: Rock My Wedding
Photographer: Reego Photographie

5. I was lucky enough to have my dress made by the very talented dressmaker Caroline Arthur, so it was already very ethical as it was made in the UK. Working conditions for Caroline's worker bees are excellent, fabrics are sourced from UK suppliers and she even makes sure her thread is from the local haberdasher instead of buying cheap from China. To make it more ethical we could have sourced ethical free-trade fabric or bought a vintage dress for her to rework. Caroline creates custom bespoke designs and also has a 'Couture Kit' to design your dress yourself online and get a quick and easy quote.

Bride and Groom walking hand in hand
Dress: Caroline Arthur 
Photographer: Yusuf Ozkizil

5. I would have sourced more of our suppliers locally, although they were all fabulous so I do hate saying that! I also would have planned to have the venue nearer to the majority of our family to limit the amount of travelling.


7. I'd have thought about using blackboards or maybe a window for our tableplan and signs. Not only is it saving on landfill - it looks so cute!

Window wedding eco table plan
Image: Style Me Pretty
Photographer: Christina Carroll

8. My last idea is definitely my favourite. I'd have bought lovely little photo frames and put photos in them instead of place cards. Such a quirky idea and I would have had so much fun hunting out photos of my friends and family and scouring photo frames from eBay, charity shops and wedding boot sales.

Photographic placecards
Image: Mariage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a Bride - New Year's Eve wedding

This week I caught up with Stephanie Leonidas who is about to celebrate her one year anniversary to Robert Boulter this New Year's Eve....